Ports

Queen Charlotte Sound - NZ - New Zealand

Queen Charlotte Sound is part of the Marlborough Sounds, a group of fiords on the north-eastern coast of the South Island of New Zealand opening into Cook Strait. It is a labyrinth of inlets, islands and bays, surrounded by steep forested hills and sandy beaches, the fertile Wairau and Awatere river valleys, the high Kaikoura Ranges, and Mount Richmond Forest Park. The main port on the sound is Picton. Ships Cove in Queen Charlotte Sound so impressed James Cook when he first visited in 1770 that he returned frequently for provisions and rest. D'Urville Island is named after the French navigator Jules d'Urville, who sailed through the narrow French Pass in 1828. This was the same year in which the first permanent whaling station (perhaps the first permanent European settlement in the South Island) was established at Te Awaiti Bay in Queen Charlotte Sound. Whaling lasted until 1964.